Monday, June 25, 2007

On to new heights


My second day into Mexico city I decided that the Federal District’s 7,347 ft. altitude wasn’t high enough for me. When missionary James Henderson invited me and my buddies to go hiking to the peak of the Ajusco mountain range, also called Pico del Águila (12,894 ft.), there was no way I could turn him down.

We took off at 7:30 Saturday morning. We put our altitude acclimation to the test – even my linebacker friend was huffin it. The climb was relatively easy except that the path was made of loose rocks. When we started climbing the peak, I had flashbacks of Frodo and Sam climbing up the side of cliffs (That climb only took about seven minutes, but it was the most difficult part, besides coming down). At the top, men had set up crosses and had placed candles – reminders of the devotedness of this Catholic nation. Beyond the crosses I could see miles of the Ajusco mountain range piled up underneath cloudy skies, just skirting the edge of the sprawling Mexico City.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

That's a gorgeous picture--is it bluebonnets? Were they on top of the mountain?