Tuesday, June 26, 2007

No longer behind the lens

Traveling without a camera has been a bit desperate for me. After my last SLR got destroyed in a kayaking accident, I’ve been the camera-less photographer, slyly slipping the Olympus out of my co-traveler’s bag to get the shot I want.

Yet during the few times I trust my friends to get the good shots and look around me with both eyes open, I find myself enjoying it. I stop and talk with a churro vendor. I smile and make faces at the little baby in a stroller (who I’d normally be taking a shot of). I feel the breeze against my face as I look at Mexico’s city lights while I hang out the door of a microbus traveling down Insurgentes Street. And I love the city as one who belongs to it, not one who is documenting it.

All the same, I itch to press the button and hear that shutter. After Mexico I hope to go back to Arkansas and find the long-awaited package from Nikon. Until then, thanks to my friends Branden and Zach for the pictures on this page.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like things are goinng well. I'm glad you are so happy at what you are doing! You continue in our prayers.
Because of Jesus, Steve S